Re: do_IRQ: stack overflow: 872..

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 02:53:14 EST

Crazy AMD K7 <snort2004@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi!
> I have found a few days ago strange messages in /var/log/messages
> More than 10 times there was do_IRQ: stack overflow: (nimber).... followed
> with code. If need I can send all this data. I have run
> ksymoops with only first 3 cases. Here is the first, the second and
> the third are in attachment.
> After that oopses my system continued to work.

It's not really an oops, just a warning that stack space got quiet tight.

The problem seems to be that the br netfilter code is nesting far too
deeply and recursing several times. Looks like a design bug to me,
it shouldn't do that.

> uname uname -a
> Linux linux 2.4.28 #2 ÷ÔÒ îÏÑ 30 15:43:35 MSK 2004 i686 unknown
> gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-113)
> I have applies ebtables_brnf patch (http://bridge.sf.net) and a

Don't do that then or contact the author to fix it. Unfortunately
the code is also in 2.6 mainline.

-Andi