Re: [2.6 patch] ieee1394_core.c: remove unneeded EXPORT_SYMBOL's

From: Lee Revell
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 18:29:13 EST

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 00:02 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 05:58:06PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> > > The solution is simple:
> > > The vendor or services provider submits his driver for inclusion into
> > > the kernel which is the best solution for everyone.
> > >

> > What if the driver is under development and doesn't work yet?
>
> For a driver developer, it shouldn't be a big problem to re-add an
> EXPORT_SYMBOL or even to undo an #if 0 of a currently unused function.

OK, fair enough. The lack of any IEEE-1394 audio support has been a big
topic on alsa-devel and I just want to make sure we don't do anything
that would make life more difficult for vendors trying to get their
hardware supported. Keep in mind that many vendors only have dealt with
Windows and OSX drivers, so their driver developers might be very
skilled but have not dealt with Linux before - they are used to working
with published APIs.

Anyway since the freebob project does not care about these I have no
objection to unexporting them.

Lee