Re: [2.6 patch] ieee1394_core.c: remove unneeded EXPORT_SYMBOL's

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 12:33:29 EST

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:20:32PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 09:17 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > > >

> > > What if the driver is under development and doesn't work yet?
> >
> > Many drivers have been accepted into the kernel tree before they worked
> > properly :)
>
> Yeah but I hope you can understand why someone would be hesitant to
> submit a broken driver. It just makes the author look bad. I would not
> feel right submitting something that didn't work.

Everyone has their own comfort levels :)

Anyway, a number of drivers have been submitted to the tree that were
never even tested on hardware (written only to specs). Then, over time
they were properly debugged by people who had access to the hardware
(debugging over email does have long lags, but it works out in the end.)
An example of this was the first usb bluetooth driver.

But we are getting pretty far off-topic here, sorry.

greg k-h