Re: USB storage (pendrive) problems

From: Pete Zaitcev
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 16:16:55 EST

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:35:03 +0200, Attila BODY <compi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dec 21 08:58:52 smiley kernel: /dev/ub/a: p1

> The problem is reproducable with 2.6.9. [...]

> I left the 2.0 device here all night and it did not. To make it worse,
> it seems that the whole USB 2.0 system went down, there was no activity
> even if i reconnected the pen, had to reboot to be detected and powered
> on again (normal reboot was not an option again, so I had to use
> alt-sysrq-B).

Thanks for the note. Unfortunately, 2.6.9 apparently has problems with
its virtual memory and write throttling, so I'm sure a few people suffering
from it will jump on this thread. It's essential to split root causes.
Your case may be different from the original poster's, who apparently
had the same deal with both ub and usb-storage. First things first, did
you try to set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB to off? What happens if you do?

-- Pete