Re: [2.6 patch] ieee1394_core.c: remove unneeded EXPORT_SYMBOL's

From: Pieter Palmers
Date: Tue Dec 21 2004 - 19:35:02 EST

girish wadhwani wrote:

Please, can't you just hold off on breaking the ieee1394 API at all for
now? Currently there are no supported IEEE-1394 audio devices. This is
a big deal as most new pro audio interfaces are IEEE-1394 devices.
There are a few under development, see http://freebob.sf.net. But they
don't work yet. If you rip out half the API you will make it that much
harder for these developers, by requiring them to be kernel hackers as
well as driver writers.

How about waiting until there is _one_ IEEE-1394 audio driver in the
tree before breaking the API?

I don't think the symbols are an issue for the Freebob project.
Atleast, not right now. The code doesn't use the symbols. Most of the
driver is intended to be in userspace anyways.
Moreover, if you are going to break in the interface, you might as
well do it before the driver
is written rather than after.

Just my 2c.

-Girish

At this point were not looking at any kernel symbols at all. The driver is intended indeed as a userspace driver, depending heavily on the userspace libs available. I personally would go to kernel space only if perfomance issues arise. Or maybe if implementing an ALSA kernel space driver would be easier than implementing it in user space (small chance).

So wrt to the kernel symbols, I personally don't mind them changing... I have to learn them from scratch anyway (as you point out).

And should we be implementing some sort of kernel driver, chances are that it will only implement the AMDTP packaging and ISO transport. Connection management and other non-RT tasks will most likely remain in user space, based upon well-tested libs. So the number of interface functions used will be rather small, and they will probably be available anyway because other drivers also use them.

And isn't driver writing a bit of kernel hacking anyway? As far as I know, you have to be very aware of kernel issues/internals when writing a driver...

Greets,

Pieter Palmers
Freebob developer

Lee