Re: Negative "ios_in_flight" in the 2.4 kernel

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 03:12:06 EST

On Wed, Dec 22 2004, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > > That would paper over the real bug, but it will work for you.
> > What is the "real bug", then? What will "work for me" is accurate disk
> > usage tick counts. The intent of these statistics is something known as
> > Operational Analysis of Queueing Networks.
> >
> > The "requirement" is that the operations on each device be accurately
> > counted, and the "wall clock" time spent *waiting* for requests and the
> > time spent *servicing* requests be accurately accumulated for each
> > device. The sector count is a bonus.
> >
> > >From these raw counters, one can, and iostat does, compute throughput,
> > utilization, average service time, average wait time and average queue
> > length. An excellent and highly readable reference for the math involved
> > can be found at
> >
> > http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/lazowska/qsp/Images/Chap_03.pdf
> >
> > That is the intent behind these counters, and what will "work for me" is
> > a kernel that captures the raw counters correctly. If forcing
> > ios_in_flight to be non-negative is done at the expense of losing or
> > gaining ticks in the wait or service time accumulators, then it will not
> > work for me.
>
> Well something is deaccounting uncorrectly (doh), probably the disk/partition
> accounting logic is doing wrong in some condition, Jens?
>
> void req_merged_io(struct request *req)
> {
> struct hd_struct *hd1, *hd2;
>
> locate_hd_struct(req, &hd1, &hd2);
> if (hd1)
> down_ios(hd1);
> if (hd2)
> down_ios(hd2);
> }
>
> void req_finished_io(struct request *req)
> {
> struct hd_struct *hd1, *hd2;
>
> locate_hd_struct(req, &hd1, &hd2);
> if (hd1)
> account_io_end(hd1, req);
> if (hd2)
> account_io_end(hd2, req);
> }
>
> We could eliminate that possibility if you ran your tests with a single
> non-partitioned disk, but thats just a guess.

It would be nice to know if this was a vanilla kernel or patched in some
way. The only recent bug in this area I remember was a bad merge in the
SUSE tree with the io_request_lock scaling patch.

(and don't trim the cc list when replying, at least not if you want
people to see your message)

--
Jens Axboe