Re: Linux 2.6.10-ac1

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 09:37:29 EST

On Monday, 27 of December 2004 02:25, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:
> Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > What do you need 'serialize' option for?
>
> I didn't check if the problem is gone with 2.6.10 but there's boards
> like my tyan 2885 which do need the serialize option to work properly
> for add-on ide controllers.
>
> From the X86-64 patch release notes of Andi Kleen:
>
> Reports that dual Tyan S2885 and S2880 can lock up when multiple IDE
> channels are stressed in parallel. "noapic" or "ideX=serialize" seems to
> work around it. Andre Hedrick thinks it's a generic bug/race in the IDE
> code.

Well, that's not the only case, I think. I am able to lock up an S2885-based
box by ripping audio CDs. The CDs go into /dev/hda, which is a LiteOn
DVD-ROM and the target is on /dev/sdb*, which is on a 3ware SATA RAID
controller. The machine locks up on one CD out of three (approx. 10 tracks
each), quite regularly (I use KAudioCreator). It does not lock up this way
in any other conditions, apparently.

> Do you want to force people to disable the io-apic just because of
> option removal? In my case the serialized devices are a disk and a
> dvd-rw which is rarely used, so disabling the io-apic is a bad solution.

AFAIK, you can't disable the io-apic on these boards.

Greets,
RJW

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.