Re: Filesystem/kernel bug?

From: Fao, Sean
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 09:40:15 EST

Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

I've seen this on ext3 and XFS as well.

Both locally (ext3 and XFS) and NFS exported (XFS).

About to try out 2.6.10 with CVS XFS and patches from the list - but
somehow I doubt that the actual problem is in the filesystems.

Part of my reason for panic was that I recently had my Linux router kick the bucket. I also used reiserfs on this system and *believe* it was running a 2.6.8 kernel.

The strange thing about this system was that, at first glance, it appeared to have a complete hard disk failure. However, when I rebooted the computer, the system did indeed start to boot. When it came time to mount the root file system, it became apparent that it had become corrupt. I've been running Linux systems for years and this was the first system that I ever experienced a corrupted file system on.

As a result of my success with file systems on Linux in the past, I've been somewhat lazy when partitioning drives lately. I've been creating 100 MB boot, system_ram * 2 swap, and throwing everything else in the root. I might have to go back to my old style to separate /, /home and /usr onto separate file systems.

--
Sean