Re: waiting 10s before mounting root filesystem?

From: William Park
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 14:17:04 EST

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 12:49:02PM +0000, Paulo Marques wrote:
> William Park wrote:
> >[...]
> >
> >Ideally, motherboard should support booting from USB key drive
> >directly. I'm told that most modern motherboards do support usbboot,
> >but my machine doesn't. So, I trying to load the kernel from floppy
> >(harddisk for testing purpose). This is part of my attempt to build
> >Linux thin-client out of mini-ITX type of computer (Via CLE266
> >chipset, Via C3 cpu).
> >
> >Now, I need to find a machine that actually can do usbboot...
>
> You will have the same problem even if the BIOS supports booting from
> USB. The BIOS will load the bootloader and map the USB drive as if it
> were a regular disk, so that the INTxx calls (can't say the number
> from memory) that LILO (or another bootloader) uses to load the kernel
> and initrd into memory will work.
>
> After that, the kernel boots the same way as if it were loaded from a
> floppy. It still needs to discover the USB drive to mount the root
> filesystem, and that will still take the 5 seconds you were
> complaining about.

Ah, right.

> As Trent Lloyd already mentioned, you could solve this using a small
> initrd and a "nash" script, instead of patching the kernel, although
> I'm in favor of a patch of this sort getting into mainline.

I read Documentation/initrd.txt and I don't understand it. If I
understand it right, I have to build a complete root filesystem with all
the stuffs necessary for mounting the second (real) root filesystem. If
I'm loading the kernel from floppy, then I only have 200k to work with.
I'll try initrd.txt, step by step over the holidays.

--
William Park <opengeometry@xxxxxxxx>
Linux solution for data processing.