Re: Kernel Benchmarks With P4+SMP+SMT?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 21:59:28 EST

Justin Piszcz wrote:
Has anyone performed any benchmarks with:

No SMP w/HT?
SMP w/HT?
SMP + SMT w/HT?

[ ] Symmetric multi-processing support
[ ] SMT (Hyperthreading) scheduler support

x SMT scheduler support improves the CPU scheduler's decision making
x when dealing with Intel Pentium 4 chips with HyperThreading at a
x cost of slightly increased overhead in some places. If unsure say
x N here.

I'm tempted to try SMT and benchmark these sometime but I am asking the list if anyone has already done this first.

Question: "slightly increased overhead in some places."

What type of workloads would exhibit such overhead?

Would this option (SMT) be recommended for a desktop or server machine?

Are there any white papers or documentation I can read about this option?

I run SMT on all my HT uni systems. Depending on what you do it can help up to 30% (kernel build) or just enough to measure. This is one of those "it depends" things, I bet there are loads which run better without, and there is a tad of overhead in the SMP kernel locking.

If you run SMP, you have that overhead anyway, so I doubt it hurts.

YMMV

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc