Re: What kernel versions will allow files larger than 4 GB?]

From: Iwan Sanders
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 04:19:29 EST

Kevin Krieser wrote:

Hi Kevin, thanks for replying!

There was support for large files back in the 2.2 days.

Do you happen to know how large the maximum file size was then? Are there some kernel specifications I can look into,
also for the more recent kernels?

And ext2 and 3 have supported it for quite some time.

I thought that the maximum file size a file system can handle is independent of the maximum file size the kernel can handle?

The big issues after kernel support was GLIBC support. And even with GLIBC
support, the application needs to be compiled with explicit large file
support. Main reason it isn't the default is to avoid bugs. Just think of
applications that use read/seek/write, etc. If they just used int for
offsets, etc, they would break on large files, which is why extra calls were
made to support large files.

Going to look into the GLIBC support, thank you. Is there a list or something that shows the maximum file sizes for the recent kernels?

As for filesystems, ext2, ext3, reiserfs, nfs, smbfs (though you have to
enable a special option for it on mounting), xfs, jfs, just to name a few.