Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard

From: Nick Warne
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 05:23:18 EST

> All of them have in common the notice of some process having
>
> "exited with preempt_count 1"
>
> and all of them happened within three hours -- this is the first time
> that a mainline kernel has been behaving so consistently unstable for
> me, in fact.

Yes, I got exactly the same - hard locked, nothing in logs.

I got this from screen:

kswapd exited with prempt-count 1
Kernel Panic - not syncing: fatal exception in interrupt.

My box has one IDE drive... and is gateway for my LAN using IPTABLES/NAT/MASQ.

The crash happened everytime I finished playing quake2 and quit the client.

I have gone back to 2.6.4 at the moment - the only kernel I can get to run
24/7/365 without a kswapd oops.

I am still sussing why/wtf.

Nick
--