Re: bug: cd-rom autoclose no longer works (fix attempt)

From: Stas Sergeev
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 13:27:19 EST

Hello.

Alexander Kern wrote:
The ide-cd.c change is as per 2.4.20
which works. For some reasons
sense.ascq == 0 for me when the tray
is opened.
ascq = 0 is legal.
According to mmc3r10g
asc 3a
ascq 0 is MEDIUM NOT PRESENT
ascq 1 is MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY CLOSED
ascq 2 is MEDIUM NOT PRESENT - TRAY OPEN
What in my eyes means, your drive is impossible to determine is tray open or closed.
I think so too, this is the problem most
likely. However, my cd-roms are not that
ancient, I expect there are millions of
the like ones around. Breaking autoclose
for all of them after it worked for ages,
is no good IMO.

Linux assumes if not known tray is closed. That is better default, it avoids infinate trying to close.
I don't think so. It is safe to assume the
tray is opened, at least it worked in the
past (or were there the real problems with
this?) You can always try to close it only
once, and if that still returns 0, then
bail out. One extra closing attempt should
not do any harm I suppose. That's exactly
what my patch does (I hope). And that's most
likely how it used to work before. I'll be
disappointed if autoclose will remain broken -
it was the very usefull feature, it will be
missed. Unless there are the real technical
reasons against the old behaviour, of course.