Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard

From: berk walker
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 15:58:15 EST

Michael Tokarev wrote:

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

In gmane.linux.raid Georg C. F. Greve <greve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, well, don't put the journal on the raid partition. Put it
elsewhere (anyway, journalling and raid do not mix, as write ordering
is not - deliberately - preserved in raid, as far as I can tell).

This is a sort of a nonsense, really. Both claims, it seems.
I can't say for sure whenever write ordering is preserved by
raid -- it should, and if it isn't, it's a bug and should be
fixed. Nothing else is wrong with placing journal into raid
(the same as the filesystem in question). Suggesting to remove
journal just isn't fair: the journal is here for a reason.
And, finally, the kernel should not crash. If something like
this is unsupported, it should refuse to do so, instead of
crashing randomly.

/mjt

I might have missed some of this thread....
but have you tried this on a completely different box? I have seen, and am fighting some problems such as yours, and having nothing to do with raid.

If you haven't, then try it. You might get different results. Hardware can sometimes be a dog to chase down, problemwise.
b-