Re: PROBLEM: Kernel 2.6.10 crashing repeatedly and hard

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 08:32:28 EST

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 10:50:55PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> >In gmane.linux.raid Georg C. F. Greve <greve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >Yes, well, don't put the journal on the raid partition. Put it
> >elsewhere (anyway, journalling and raid do not mix, as write ordering
> >is not - deliberately - preserved in raid, as far as I can tell).
>
> This is a sort of a nonsense, really. Both claims, it seems.
> I can't say for sure whenever write ordering is preserved by
> raid -- it should, and if it isn't, it's a bug and should be
> fixed. Nothing else is wrong with placing journal into raid
> (the same as the filesystem in question). Suggesting to remove
> journal just isn't fair: the journal is here for a reason.
> And, finally, the kernel should not crash. If something like
> this is unsupported, it should refuse to do so, instead of
> crashing randomly.

Write ordering trouble shouldn't crash the kernel, the way I
understand it. Your journalled fs could be lost/inconsistent
if the machine crashes for other reasons, due to bad write
ordering. But the ordering trouble shouldn't cause a crash,
and all should be fine as soon as all the writes complete
without other incidents.

Helge Hafting