Re: Trying out SCHED_BATCH

From: Peter Williams
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 19:26:59 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:

Paolo Ciarrocchi <paolo.ciarrocchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andrew, what's your plan for the staircase scheduler ?

I have none, frankly. I haven't seen any complaints about the current
scheduler.

If someone can identify bad behaviour in the current scheduler which
staircase improves then please describe a tescase which the scheduler
developers can use to reproduce the situation.

Of course that may result in just another band-aid on the current scheduler rather than a change.

If, after that, we deem that the problem cannot be feasibly fixed within the
context of the current scheduler and that the problem is sufficiently
serious to justify wholesale replacement of the scheduler then sure,
staircase is an option.

More to the point, was there a problem with plugable schedulers? It would be both technically and politically better to let people try, use, and write schedulers for special case loads, just as we have for io scheduling.

I didn't find staircase to be the solution to any of my problems, but it would be nice to let all the people who are improving schedulers have an easy way to try new ideas (easier than building a whole new kernel, that is).

At Con's request I've taken over responsibility for plugsched but I've been away visiting relatives for the last week or so and, therefore, I'm a little behind. I hope to release a plugsched patch for 2.6.10 in the next few days with a (work in progress) modification to share a lot more code between schedulers so that the amount of work required to implement new schedulers is reduced.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Ambrose Bierce