Re: starting with 2.7

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 20:24:38 EST

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:45:51AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> The netfilter people plan to remove ipfwadm and ipchains before 2.6.11 .
> This is legacy code that makes their development sometimes a bit harder,
> but AFAIK ipchains in 2.6.10 doesn't suffer from any serious real
> problems.

They're superseded by iptables and their sole uses are by the Linux-
specific applications to manipulate this privileged aspect of system
state. This makes a much weaker case for backward compatibility than
general nonprivileged standardized system calls.

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 04:30:11PM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>> I can't speak for anyone during the times of more ancient Linux history;
>> however, developers' dissatisfaction with the development model has been
>> aired numerous times in certain fora. It has not satisfactorily served
>> developers or users. Users are locked into distro kernels for
>> incompatible extensions, and developers are torn between multiple
>> codebases.

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:45:51AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> At least on Debian, ftp.kernel.org kernels work fine.

This does not advance the argument.

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 04:30:11PM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>> This fragmentation of programmer effort is trivially recognizable as
>> counterproductive. A single focal point for programmer effort is far
>> superior for a development model. If the standard of stability is not
>> passed then the code is not ready to be included in any kernel. Then
>> the distinction is lost, and each of the fragmented codebases gets a
>> third-class effort, and a spurious expenditure of effort is wasted on
>> porting fixes and features across numerous different codebases.

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:45:51AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> My impression is that currently 2.4 doesn't take that much time of
> developers (except for Marcelo's), and that it's a quite usable and
> stable kernel.

The ``stable'' moniker and distros being based on 2.4 are horrors
beyond imagination and developers are pushed to in turn push
inappropriate features on 2.4.x and maintain them out-of-tree for
2.4.x

-- wli