Re: starting with 2.7

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 17:17:24 EST

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
On 3 Jan 2005, at 22:48, Rik van Riel wrote:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

Unfortunately, you can't force the entire hardware industry to open up their drivers.

That's ok. I don't have to buy that hardware.

Gosh! I bought an ATI video card, I bought a VMware license, etc.... I want to keep using them.

That's your choice, and you (and your vendors) will have to
deal with the issues. I don't see why we should hold back
the development of Linux for it...

Changing a "stable" kernel will continuously annoy users and vendors.

On the other hand, not having a feature users need available
in a stable kernel also annoys users and vendors. During the
2.4 days this lead to every distribution needing to do a bunch
of backports from the 2.5 kernel, and the availability of 2.4
kernels with every possible subset of 2.5 features - but none
with all the features. Arguably, that is a much worse situation
for users and vendors than a faster-changing 2.6 tree, where at
least everybody is using the same tree.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.