Re: FAT, NTFS, CIFS and DOS attributes

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 20:51:45 EST

Nicholas Miell wrote:

The design isn't broken, you're just missing an important detail of what
the system namespace entails:

xattrs in the system namespace have a format defined by the kernel and
(more importantly -- this is the important detail) modify kernel
behavior.

If the xattr namespace was flat, I would have no way of knowing whether
or not the kernel will set the Archived bit in fatattrs (or DosAttrib)
xattr when I write to a file that has that xattr or whether or not the
kernel will choose to enforce the ACL I store in the posix_acl_access
xattr.

With the system namespace, I can rely on the fact that xattrs in that
namespace actually have a meaning and are in sync with what the kernel
believes to be true about the file.

What you're neglecting is that there is a LARGE class of metadata where the important thing is that you store them; if you don't know what they are you merely ignore them and keep them as-is.

There is no place for those in the current design.

-hpa