Re: starting with 2.7

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 22:33:43 EST

On Monday 03 January 2005 19:02, Bill Davidsen wrote:

[...]

>Somewhere there is a pawn shop with only one big brass ball, and I
> know where the other two are...

Yeah, well, one does get used to carrying them around after a while
Bill. Not quite in this context, but I have been asked how in hell I
can sit so comfortably by witnesses, after just having torn some $10k
piece of broadcast gear down, and then put it back together again,
and it works when I'm done, something it didn't do whan I started...

And thats what it does take sometimes, big (brass?) balls. And thats
what keeps me lurking here and playing with new kernels all the time
at age 70. Currently running 2.6.10-ac2.

But, I have to agree with the general tone of this thread, we do not
IMO have, as 2005 opens up, a kernel code base that runs on
everything its supposed to run on, not by a long shot. And to apply
the 'stable' label to this is stretching the point like a used car
salesman selling a 49 nash. Don't get me wrong either, I choose to
do this and generally speaking I'm having a lot of fun trying to keep
up with the various new kernels. And if something doesn't work, you
all hear from me fairly quick, and thats how stability is achieved,
by folks like me taking the chance and getting burnt. I may not know
how to fix it cause this ain't an amiga anymore, but I can be the
remote hands to furnish the clues those of you who do code in your
sleep can fix.

Its moving way too fast in terms of new features to ever get to a
'stable' point, and I think it is now time to fork things off into a
2.7 tree, while 2.6 continues on till the individual distros don't
have the huge menu of patches they are now applying to their own
kernels, as everything worth doing in 2.6 has made it to the
kernel.org downloadable code by the time it gets to 2.6.20 or so.
And thats what I'd call stable, stable like the
2.4.20-sthg-or-other-ck6 I've been running on my firewall box for
years. It 'just works' in between hardware glitches...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)