Re: starting with 2.7

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 00:17:59 EST

Willy Tarreau wrote:

> I feel they're brave. I know several other people who went back, either
> because they didn't feel comfortable with upgrades these size, which
> sometimes did not boot because of random patches, or simply because of the
> scheduler which didn't let them type normally in an SSH session on a
> CPU-bound system, or even a proxy which performance dropped by a factor of
> 5 between 2.4 and 2.6. I know they don't report it, but they are not
> developpers. They see that 2.6 is not ready yet, and turn back to stable
> 2.4.

Here is one more regression report.

My /home was on reiserfs some time ago (migrated to ext3 using convertfs due
to this regression). I read my mail with KMail. I am also subscribed to
several mailing lists. I have a separate Maildir-formatted folder for each
mailing list. Some of such folders are more than a year old and contain
thousands of messages. With linux-2.4, I could click on such folder and the
list of messages sorted by subject will appear in KMail almost instantly.
With linux-2.6, this process takes much longer.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov