Re: [bk patches] Long delayed input update

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 01:16:52 EST

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 12:54 am, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I pulled and immediately unpulled again.
>
> Vojtech, stuff like this is unacceptable:
>
> PS/2 driver library (SERIO_LIBPS2) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) ?
>
> Say Y here if you are using a driver for device connected
> to a PS/2 port, such as PS/2 mouse or standard AT keyboard.
>
> Stop messing with peoples minds. The default config should contain
> keyboard and mouse support, and unless the user asks for "Embedded" or the
> year 2010 comes along and you can't find computers with non-USB keyboards
> anyway, that's how it's going to remain.
>
> We had this _idiocy_ early in 2.5.x, and it caused untold silly problems.
> We fixed it. We're not going to re-do that mistake.

When I do "make oldconfig" it silently sets SERIO_LIBPS2 to Y if I have
either atkbd or psmouse built-in and if both of them are modules it gives
option [M/y]. Do you have atkbd or psmouse selected?

> Please re-do your BK tree without this. Also, considering that every
> _single_ time we've messed with the legacy keyboard/mouse controller there
> have been compatibility problems, I want to know what the advantages are.

It folds sizeable chunks of the same code from atkbd and psmouse so for ease
of maintenance.

--
Dmitry