Re: 50% CPU user usage but top doesn't list any CPU unfriendly task

From: Norbert van Nobelen
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 02:54:39 EST

The load and the CPU useage are two separate things:
Load: Defined by a programmer on an estimate on which his program is running
100% fulltime, thus consuming little or more CPU/IO.
The interesting program you mention is the VoIP application. Is this program
multithreaded and is every thread using a little bit of CPU? Than it quickly
adds up to the mentioned 40%. The load is than also easily reached.