Re: [patch] maintainers: remove moderated arm list

From: Erik Mouw
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 05:19:54 EST

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 06:37:01PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Sounds great, but _every single time_ I've ever gotten one of those
> "your message is awaiting moderation" messages from such a list, it's
> inevitably followed a few hours/days later by a "your message has been
> rejected" message. In every case, the message I sent was definitely a
> no-brainer to allow, so I can only guess that either the moderation
> system is broken, or the moderators are.

It's not about sanity, it's about abiding the law (the UK Data
Protection Act, in this particular case). As Russell King explained in
this thread, there are such things as real life and politicians that
make privacy laws.

On the linux-arm* lists, we make no difference in intention: if you're
not subscribed, it means you didn't agree to your messages being
publicly archived (i.e.: you didn't agree to your privacy being
violated), and to avoid legal hassles later on, we can't accept your
post.

The legal hassles I'm talking about are not a theoretical thing, there
have been successful requests from posters to have their messages
removed from other mailing lists archives in the past. Yes, I know
that's stupid, and yes, I know a mailing list maintainer can't do
anything against other people archiving his list, but the law says
otherwise.

Note however, that messages with patches sent to the linux-arm-kernel
list will get to the right person (i.e.: Russell).

Erik
linux-arm*-owner #2

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --