Re: starting with 2.7

From: Rahul Karnik
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 12:38:22 EST

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:42:24 -0500 (EST), Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > > APM vs. ACPI - shutdown doesn't reliably power down about half of the
> > > machines I use, and all five laptops have working suspend and non-working
> > > resume. APM seems to be pretty unsupported beyond "use ACPI for that."
> >
> > Many never machines just don't have APM.
>
> What's your point? I'm damn sure there are more machines with APM than 386
> CPUs, AHA1540 SCSI controllers, or a lot of other supported stuff. Most
> machines which have APM at all have a functional power off capability,
> which is a desirable thing for most people.

The point is not that the kernel should not support APM because it is
superceded by ACPI, but that your laptops do not support APM properly.
Did they work correctly with APM in 2.4? If so, we have a regression;
otherwise complain to the laptop vendor, they do not consider APM to
be a high enough priority.