Re: starting with 2.7

From: Bernd Eckenfels
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 12:46:13 EST

In article <20050104155844.GI2708@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> You could in principle base version numbers on external influences. In a
> 5-point decimal system, then 2.6.x.y.z would be released daily, 2.6.x.y.0
> released every 10 days, 2.6.x.0.0 released every 100 days, and 2.7.0.0.0
> released after 1000 days, and so on.

the age does, however not say anything about the intention and preparations.
The version numbers are mainly to communicate intention. Otherwise you can
use a timestamp.

And thats why I dont think it is good to keep innovations back by not
opening a 2.7 tree nor is it good to caue trouble for users by merging a lot
of new features to 2.6.

A lot of media and books has explained the linux numbering scheme, this is
valuable knowledge, dont dump it.

Bernd