Re: starting with 2.7

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 17:03:23 EST

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > Yes, -mm gives a bit more testing coverage, but it doesn't seem to be
> > > enough for this vast amount of changes.
> >
> > I have to say that with a few minor exceptions the introduction of new
> > features hasn't created long term (more than a few days) of problems. And
> > we have had that in previous stable versions as well. New features
> > themselves may not be totally stable, but in most cases they don't break
> > existing features, or are fixed in bk1 or bk2. What worries me is removing
> > features deliberately, and I won't beat that dead horse again, I've said
> > my piece.
> >
> > The "few minor exceptions:"
> >
> > SCSI command filtering - while I totally support the idea (and always
> > have), I miss running cdrecord as a normal user. Multisession doesn't work
> > as a normal user (at least if you follow the man page) because only root
> > can use -msinfo. There's also some raw mode which got a permission denied,
> > don't remember as I was trying something not doing production stuff.
> >
> > APM vs. ACPI - shutdown doesn't reliably power down about half of the
> > machines I use, and all five laptops have working suspend and non-working
> > resume. APM seems to be pretty unsupported beyond "use ACPI for that."
>
> Go ahead and become APM maintainer... APM needs some care.
>
> Problem is that ACPI needs driver model changes, and those affect APM
> too. But noone is using APM these days, so when something breaks
> there, it takes long to discover.

I wouldn't try it if ACPI support worked on my machines, and I really
wasn't suggesting that effort should go into APM so much as refuting the
notion that people could just use ACPI. I would rather see resources go
into ACPI, as I would be delighted to move into the future.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc