Re: starting with 2.7

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 00:50:21 EST

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 06:50:20PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I disagree Willy, if I see an -rc candidate, even if I'm following an
> interesting thread, like Ingo's patches, the rc will get built and
> run here, precisely so I can bitch if it doesn't work. I have an
> idea there are more like me who are interested as much in whats *new*
> as in how well does it run *my* stuff, and that you may possibly be
> undercounting us...

I do this too when I have time, but basically, the number of testers
is limited to a small percent of the amount of LKML readers. This is
why I say it does not get tested on a large scale. Seeing that even
slashdot announces new releases, I suspect that releases are tested
by 10 or 100 times more users than -rc. If we spend too much time
waiting for a few hundred people to test -rc, it is with great deception
that we discover that obvious bugs go to the final release unnoticed,
like the NFS problem on 2.6.8 which hit me on the first boot. OK, I
would have seen it in -rc, but I didn't have time to test -rc this
time, and nobody else did enough testing on it. Result, -rc did not
serve to catch this obvious one. I agree that a very few days should
be better than absolutely nothing, at least to catch build problems,
but we should not wait too long.

Cheers,
Willy