Re: 2.6.10-mm1

From: Mark_H_Johnson
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 11:47:07 EST

After booting with 2.6.10-mm1, I get the following message on the serial
console (last message seen):

PCI: 0000:00:0b.0 has unsupported PM cap regs version (1)

For reference, lspci shows that device is
00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)

I notice there is a relatively recent patch to add this message.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/263974

However, my .config includes

#
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
# CONFIG_PM is not set

which should disable all power management related processing.

[1] Should the code generating the warning be active without CONFIG_PM
being set?

[2] Can you explain why the message is generated (why not silently ignore
the older hardware) or is there something in an init script (I am using
Fedora Core 2) that [incorrectly] assumes power management is available to
cause the message to be printed?

--Mark H Johnson
<mailto:Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>