Re: chasing the four level page table

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 15:18:25 EST

On 6 Jan 2005 20:38:27 +0100, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxx> wrote:
> You can't use get_user_pages in this case because the AGP aperture
> can be above mem_map. If none of the callers take page_table_lock
> already you would need to add that too. I guess from the context the lock
> is not taken, but better double check.
>
> Perhaps we should add a get_user_phys() or somesuch for this.

No where in DRM is page_table_lock being taken. Also, no other device
driver takes page_table_lock either, so that probably implies that DRM
shouldn't start doing it to. Best solution would probably be add an mm
function for get_user_phys() that takes the lock internally. If you
add the function I'll convert DRM to use it.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx