Re: starting with 2.7

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 16:22:19 EST

Paul Rolland wrote:
Hello,

In practice, that's all the -rc releases are these days

anyway (there

are times when a 2.6.x-rcy release is more stable than 2.6.z). The
problem is that since the -rc releases are called what they are
called, they don't get enough testing.

Perfectly true. I would add that with -rc releases, people only upgrade when
we tell them that they can, while with more frequent releases, they upgrade
when they *need* to, and can try several versions if the first one they pick
does not work.

I'd like to add some personal view : After 2.4.x, we have had a fork and
2.5.x was born, clearly identified as a development tree, so no stability
guaranteed... Then one day came 2.6.0, and so on...
I'm sorry, but I still cannot consider 2.6.x being any stable the way 2.4.x
is today.

Theodore wrote :

that at least 1 in 3 releases will turn out to be stable enough for
most purposes. But we won't know until after 2 or 3 days which
releases will be the good ones.

I mostly agree. When a new 2.4.x comes out, I have a confident feeling
about it, and there is no reason for me to wait 2 or 3 days to know if it's stable or not. It's part of a stable branch, and there are no
major changes in it.
2.6.x, I still consider as a development branch. OK, people changed the
numbering from 2.5.x to 2.6.x, but the number of changes still going on
didn't really change. Just have a look at the numbers : patches are even
bigger now that we are in a "stable" branch (4Mo average for 2.6 patch, gzip when we had a 1Mo average for 2.5 !)

I think you are quoting MB/release where MB/month would be much closer. Part of the "new development model" is that Linus only releases a new version the Thursday after the racoons tip over his garbage can.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)