Re: Questions about the CMD640 and RZ1000 bugfix support options

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 21:15:01 EST

On Iau, 2005-01-06 at 23:10, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> What about the following idea?
> Both stay enabled by default but the help text explains exactly (as
> far as possible) which systems are affected.
> This would help newbies like me to decide if those bugfixes are
> necessary or not.

Its the ideal solution. The diff for this is available on your computer
already - its kept in /dev/null 8)

The PC-Technologies RZ1000 IDE chip is used on many common 486
and
Pentium motherboards, usually along with the "Neptune"
chipset.
Unfortunately, it has a rather nasty design flaw that can
cause
severe data corruption under many conditions. Say Y here to
include
code which automatically detects and corrects the problem
under
Linux. This may slow disk throughput by a few percent, but at
least
things will operate 100% reliably.

The CMD-Technologies CMD640 IDE chip is used on many common
486 and
Pentium motherboards, usually in combination with a "Neptune"
or
"SiS" chipset. Unfortunately, it has a number of rather nasty
design flaws that can cause severe data corruption under many
common
conditions. Say Y here to include code which tries to
automatically
detect and correct the problems under Linux. This option also
enables access to the secondary IDE ports in some CMD640 based
systems.