Re: SCSI aic7xxx driver: Initialization Failure over a kdump reboot

From: Lukasz Kosewski
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 09:37:34 EST

Lukasz Kosewski wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:

looks like the following is happening:
the controller wants to send an irq (probably from previous life)
then suddenly the driver gets loaded
* which registers an irq handler
* which does pci_enable_device()
and .. the irq goes through. the irq handler just is not yet expecting this irq, so
returns "uh dunno not mine"
the kernel then decides to disable the irq on the apic level
and then the driver DOES need an irq during init
... which never happens.

yes, that's exactly what e100 was doing on my laptop last month. Fixed
that by arranging for the NIC to be reset before the call to
pci_set_master().

After reading this again when I /wasn't/ semi-comatose, I retract my statement insofar as it wouldn't help you (but I think it's still rather necessary) :)

The system did exactly what I'm talking about (which it didn't do for me, possibly because the board/processor didn't support APIC). I guess my question to you is: do you have other devices sharing this interrupt? In other words, are you /sure/ that it's the adaptec controller which is setting the interrupt line high?

Luke Kosewski
Human Cannonball
Net Integration Technologies