Re: 256 apic id for amd64

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 21:39:48 EST

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:12:00 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:14:24PM -0800, YhLu wrote:
>> After keep the bsp using 0, the jiffies works well. Werid?
>
>Probably a bug somewhere. But since BSP should be always
>0 I'm not sure it is worth tracking down.

I hope by "0" you're referring to a Linux kernel defined
software value and _not_ what the HW or BIOS conjured up!

Case in point: I was involved a while ago in tracking down
and fixing a local APIC enumeration bug in the x86-32 (i386)
kernel code, where the kernel failed miserably on some
dual K7 boxes because (a) only one CPU socket was populated,
(b) the BIOS assigned that CPU a non-zero ID, and (c) the
kernel (apic.c) had a bug which triggered when BSP ID != 0.

Never trust a BIOS to DTRT.

/Mikael