Re: Open hardware wireless cards

From: Paul Jakma
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 07:05:37 EST

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Jim Nelson wrote:

Open-source drivers would make it trivial to make the hardware operate beyond its legal limits - and could potentially land them in trouble with the FCC/whatever.

This doesnt hold up at all, because the *closed* vendor software for some 802.11? radios will give you option to set the 'country' (and hence power), eg Netgear WG602v2 (an ISL3893 running Linux + proprietary mini-RTOS for the 802.11 bits + proprietary Linux side drivers to communicate between the two.).

Also, doesnt the USA have higher limits than most other countries? So the problem if anything would arise in /other/ regulatory domains, not FCC/USA.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@xxxxxxxx paul@xxxxxxxxx Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: