Re: [RFC] per thread page reservation patch

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 08:46:23 EST

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > __alloc_pages(GFP_KERNEL, ...) doesn't return NULL. It'll either succeed
> > or never return ;) That behaviour may change at any time of course, but it
>
> Hmm... it used to, when I wrote that code.

And still does, if OOM decides to kill _your_ task: OOM sets PF_MEMDIE,
and then you don't get to go the retry route at all:

/* This allocation should allow future memory freeing. */
if ((p->flags & (PF_MEMALLOC | PF_MEMDIE)) && !in_interrupt()) {
/* go through the zonelist yet again, ignoring mins */
for (i = 0; (z = zones[i]) != NULL; i++) {
page = buffered_rmqueue(z, order, gfp_mask);
if (page)
goto got_pg;
}
goto nopage;