Re: starting with 2.7

From: Alan Cox
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 19:09:55 EST

> I'm claiming that an IT infrastructure that has to support 2.6 as-is
> will be wildly more complex and more expensive than one supporting a
> truly stable one with the same efficiency. It keeps changing. New
> features must be added that aren't amply tested (and due to the 2.6
> development structure, ample testing before mainline integration is much
> more difficult).

Large IT businesses already deployed 2.6 (SuSE) and will do so more soon
(Red Hat). These vendors are guaranteeing long term stable maintenance
of those versions.

> Ask Linus to start making 3rd party binary module support a reality then.

Binary module support is pretty irrelevant. Good management of out of
tree source code recompiling is a much more useful and relevant topic.
2.6 has caused an inadvertent problem there because with 2.4 it was
*much* easier to grab 2.4.x and drop in a 2.4.y version of a driver.