RE: [BUG][2.6.8.1] serial driver hangs SMP kernel, but not the UPkernel

From: Tim_T_Murphy
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 16:19:58 EST

Thanks for your comments and advice, I am new to
the kernel and appreciate your taking the time.

> Presumably this is a device with a fake 8250 that
> produces sudden large bursts of data ? If so then
> for now you -need- to set low_latency and should
> probably do it by the PCI vendor subid/device id.
> The problem is that the serial layer expects serial
> data arriving at serial speeds. It completely breaks
> down when it hits an emulation of a generic uart that
> suddenely receives 32Kbytes of data at ethernet speed.

Yes. Thanks, this confirms what I suspected.

> The longer term fix for this is when the flip buffers
> go away, and the same problem gets cleaned up for
> things like mainframes and some high performance DMA
> devices.

Is this, or a short-term fix, expected anytime soon?

Problem for me is that my application no longer works
with the 2.6 kernels, since it relies on the kernel's
serial support -- which worked fine with 2.4 kernels.

If there's anything I can do to expedite a fix please
let me know -- I've spent the past few days learning
and working with the code, but I obviously have a
ways to go before I sleep..

Tim