Preemptible Big Kernel Lock?

From: walt
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 20:56:29 EST

I've been running the P-BKL all day and I've been very
happy with it so far.

I've found the machine to be very responsive and smooth
during compilation of large programs, playback of audio/
video, all the usual stuff I do on my desktop machine.

The problem is: the same machine was also great two
days ago, before the preemptible BKL -- the best it's
been for years. I can't tell the difference, and I
had no complaints even before this update.

Two questions:

Would I expect to see a difference on a uni-processor
machine? (That's all I have.)

What kind of testing could I do to demonstrate the
difference?