Re: 256 apic id for amd64

From: James Cleverdon
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 21:22:44 EST

Greetings YH,

That patch will cause phys_proc_id[] to contain incorrect information
for IBM x366 systems. There is a reason why phys_pkg_id() indirects
through the subarch table -- it does so because cpuid returns stale
data when the APIC ID registers are rewritten by the x366 BIOS. The
BIOS must rewrite those registers as part of system probing and
configuration (i.e. Nocona chips can't latch all 8 bits of APIC ID at
reset time, and we will need all 8 bits real soon).

Personally, I don't have any problem with replacing the non-power-of-2
code with "hweight32(c->x86_num_cores - 1)", but folks at Intel have
been very insistent that it may be needed in the future. Maybe Suresh
can speak up about Intel's interests here.

--
James Cleverdon
IBM LTC (xSeries Linux Solutions)