Re: Proper procedure for reporting possible security vulnerabilities?

From: Florian Weimer
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 04:39:18 EST

* Barry K. Nathan:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:08:27PM +0100, Diego Calleja wrote:
>> They could have mailed to *THIS* mailing list, so anyone can make a patch.
>
> And abandon the whole idea of coordinated disclosure?

For local vulnerabilities? Get real.

Most users won't update anyway because they still believe that the
kernel team makes timely security releases, and they are safe as long
as they use the latest kernel.org release. The current process
doesn't protect them.

(I know, they should use vendor kernels instead.)