Re: Linux NFS vs NetApp

From: Lincoln Dale
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 06:39:42 EST

At 08:54 PM 11/01/2005, Neil Brown wrote:
On Monday January 10, phyprabab@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to understand how NetApp can be so much
> better at NFS servicing than my quad Opteron 250 SAN
> attached machine. So I need some help and some
> pointers to understand how I can make my opteron
> machine come on par (or within 70% NFS performance
> range) as that of my NetApp R200. I have run through
> the NFS-how-to's and have heard "that is why they cost
> so much more", but I really have to consider that
> probably most of the ideas that are in the NetApp are
> common knowldge (just not in my head).
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?

If you want to come anything close to comparable with a Netapp, get a
few hundred Megabytes of NVRAM (e.g. www.umem.com), and configure it
as an external journal for your filesystem (I know this can be done
for ext3, I don't know about other filesystems). Then make sure your
filesystem journals all data, not just metadata (data=journal option
to ext3).

NetApp's WAFL only journals metadata in NVRAM ...
(one of the primary reasons its called WAFL is that the data-write only happens once..).

cheers,

lincoln.