Re: Bad disks or bug ?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 09:22:37 EST

Ing. Gianluca Alberici wrote:
Prarit,

I run 2.4.27 on all my machines.

Never had problems but this (if we want to say its not a disk problem)

I have seen on mailing lists many people having this very problem, always on hdb, with a lot of different kernel and machines.

I have basically two kind of cabinets:

- The 'Antec style' tower
- Racmount cases

Everything well cooled...i am sure bout that.

Always ASUS A7V, Athlon XP 2xxx+, NEVER OVERCLOCKED, of course...

Disks are mainly Maxtor, or IBM

Basically i was wondering whether to swap disks on a server just to try....

....These are the things that rave me mad !

You might see if you can swap positions in the case first, then I guess you would have nothing to try but actually flipping master with slave (and contents as well, good fun).

Just wondering, where is your swap? Your Journal? Do you have a small fast drive you could use for swap and external journal? I checked all the machines which have a similar configuration, and I don't see any pattern, although all the machines with really high i/o load are using SCSI.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)