Re: Bad disks or bug ?

From: Ing. Gianluca Alberici
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 10:14:06 EST

Heinrich,

Your analysis shows you know well what we're talking about and i think finally
you gave the optimal explanation...

I know very well the problems of the IBM DTLA series (i have a dozen of zombies here...)
and was mainly concerned about Maxtor disks.

Finally i agree it must be something that has to do with the use of hardware and/or firmware...

I will of course substitute my backup drive immediately !

Regards and thanks,

Gianluca

Heinrich Stamerjohanns wrote:

Der Gianluca,

I guess you have an IBM Deskstar (or now Hitachi), possibly a DTLA-307045?

We have the same setup: main disk is /dev/hda, backup disk (every night) is /dev/hdb.

One just crashed yesterday, it is the fifth IBM (out of five) that crashed (this is already a replacement disk...). Don't worry your IBM /dev/hda will crash sooner or later as well ;)

But when I investigated after the first crash, I read something like
that these disk especially do not cope with the situation that they are only infrequently used, but then heavily (no use at all, then continous backup..). The firmware has supposedly changed since then, but it
has not helped the replacment drive.
So I guess your problem with /dev/hdb is rather a hardware than a software problem.

To be sure you could make /dev/hdb your main disk and backup to /dev/hda.
I am quite sure that /dev/hda will give up first then. (But it happened to us that the main drive died two days later, without a replaced backup drive...)

Greetings, Heinrich

--
Dr. Heinrich Stamerjohanns Tel. +49-441-798-4276
Institute for Science Networking stamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx