Sparse LUN scanning - 2.4.x

From: Jim Zajkowski
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 14:15:28 EST

Hi there,

We have an Apple Xserve RAID, connected through a FC switch. The RAID has LUN-masking enabled, such that one of our Linux boxes only gets LUN 1 and not LUN 0. We're running the 2.4.x kernel series now, since this is under a RHEL envinronment.

The problem is this: since LUN 0 does not show up -- specifically, it can't read the vendor or model informaton -- the kernel SCSI scan does not match with the table to tell the kernel to do sparse LUN scanning... so the RAID does not appear.

I can make the RAID show up by injecting a add-single-device to the SCSI proc layer. Trivially patching scsi_scan.c to always do sparse scanning works as well. No hokery with max_scsi_luns or ghost devices works.

I'm considering making a patch to add a kernel option to force sparse scanning. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,

--Jim

--
Jim Zajkowski OpenPGP 0x21135C3 http://www.jimz.net/pgp.asc
System Administrator 8A9E 1DDF 944D 83C3 AEAB 8F74 8697 A823 2113 5C53