Re: User space out of memory approach

From: Ilias Biris
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 15:48:00 EST

well looking into Alan's email again I think I answered thinking on
the wrong side :-) that the suggestion was to switch off OOM
altogether and be done with all the discussion... tsk tsk tsk too
defensive and hasty I guess :-)

Thinking it in another way alan's email could have the dimension of
switching off overcommitment (and thus OOM) whilst in the user-space
ranking stage to avoid reentrancy and invocation of oom again and
again before killing something. It also solves the issue of using
timed/counted resources which is plain ugly and evil. It would though
be necessary to switch OOM back on when the OOMK has finally done the
kill.

Did I get it right this time Alan?

--
Ilias Biris