Re: Unable to burn DVDs

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 11:59:12 EST

Nick Sanders wrote:
On Tuesday 11 January 2005 20:09, Sipos Ferenc wrote:

Hi!

For me, dvd writing works only when I run growisofs with root
permissions (using 2.6.10 kernel, /dev/hdc without ide-scsi)

For me when running growisofs with user permissions on 2.6.10 (ide-cd) it works perfectly 1st time but 2nd time fails with the error below. It works fine when run as root.

:-( unable to PREVENT MEDIA REMOVAL: Operation not permitted

As an aside audio cd burning with cdrecord works as long as the '-text' option isn't used, if it is the process hangs.

I reported a similar thing with cdrecord, writing a first session successfully using the -multi flag, but not being able to append to it or read the size with the "-msinfo" flag. I was totally blown off and told I didn't have permissions on the device, even though I was able to write to it.

I believe the true answer is that the SCSI command filter is blocking a command needed to perform the operation, probably a command to lock the door of the drive. In my case I have permissions to write the CD, just not to read the info needed to write additional sessions.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)