Re: Cherokee Nation Posts Open Source Legisation - Invites comments from Community Members

From: root
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 12:23:09 EST

There is no impact on the GPL and any Linux code covered under the GPL
remains as such. The Ga-du-gi OS is defined under the current FSF
definitions as a "collective work" not a "derivative work". So all the
folks sending mail to LKML and gadugi.org that implies otherwise
are out in the weeds.

It just Linux with a new kernel underneath as an /arch port at present.
Over time, most of the GPL code will be replaced and at the option of
copyright holders, possibly converted to another license. The advantage
to the latter is it will stop a lot of the SCO flak and the critics of
open source.

The GPL does not specify anywhere that GPL code cannot be incorporated
into a "collective work". So this wrong-headed notion that using GPL
code mixed with non-GPL code renders a project a "derivative work" is
absurd and unenforceable.