Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 14:36:11 EST

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:01:42AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > So you would be for a closed list, but there would be no incentive at
> > all for anyone on the list to keep the contents of what was posted to
> > the list closed at any time? That goes against the above stated goal of
> > complying with RFPolicy.
>
> There's already vendor-sec. I assume they follow RFPolicy already. If it's
> just another vendor-sec, why would you put up a new list for it?

I think the issue is that there is no main "security" contact for the
kernel. If we want to make vendor-sec that contact, fine, but we better
warn the vendor-sec people :)

> In other words, if you allow embargoes and vendor politics, what would the
> new list buy that isn't already in vendor-sec.

vendor-sec handles a lot of other stuff that is not kernel related
(every package that is in a distro.) This would only be for the kernel.

thanks,

greg k-h