Kernel releases for security updates

From: Gregory Boyce
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 15:02:39 EST

Folks,

Lately on this list I have been hearing a lot of discussion about putting out point releases for security and bug fixes to the stable series of kernels. There has even been a single release (2.6.8.1) that actually followed through with this.

What has not been clear to me from the threads is how far back people are planning on supporting with these point releases? A lot of people seem to be very interested in being able to run a kernel for extended lengths of time, but most of the discussion on point releases has been about getting a 2.6.X.1 while 2.6.X+1 is still in it's pre stages. What about the people running 2.6.X-1? Can they expect to get a point release for security updates?

I've been thinking about this, and it seems to me that there is going to have to be a choice between either supporting just the current stable release, or supporting the last X releases. The first option is going to leave a lot of people unhappy as major changes get put into releases, and the other option is going to be painful to support.

Rather than actually putting out point releases for the previously released kernels, why not just create a centralized repository for the security patches? In a lot of cases security patches can be applied as is to a number of different kernel revisions. For the ones that cannot, variances of the patches could be posted along with it clearly marked as to which patches apply to which kernels.

Thoughts?

--
Greg Boyce